Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cramps, C-Section, and a Beautiful Baby Girl

There is no moment like the present to finally blog about the greatest event in my life. Right now, my beautiful baby girl is laying on her daddy's lap while he flips through his pile of Sports Illustrated magazines that have been piling up.

Thursday March 26 10:15 AM: I had my week 39 Dr.'s appointment and much to my dismay, I had made no progress. I wasn't expecting to dialte early, but I still had my fingers crossed. In the back of my mind I knew that I would probably end up being induced after my due date and that it would be a long few weeks to come.

Friday March 27 2:00 AM: I woke up with the worst cramps. I felt constipated:( The pains came and went randomly and I finally fell back to sleep within the hour and had little pain throughout the rest of the night. Around eight that morning my pains were close together but I thought I really just had to go potty. And I did . . . 12 times that day:) I had heard reaccuring "BM's" was a way your body prepares for labor, but i didn't think much of it. At noon, I went to Olive Garden for lunch with my MIL, SIL, and her mom from Iowa. Some pain throughout but not a big deal. A trip out to Willamette Valley Fruit Co. to see Derek is what did me in. The pain was worse and the "BM's" were gone. I called my mom and she informed me that I had been in labor all day:) Who knew? Definately not me. Call me ignorant but I thought contractions would feel different.

Saturday March 28 1:15AM: The pain is getting unbearable. Contractions are 3-5 minutes apart lasting 45 seconds to 1 minute. Derek calls the hospital, we grab our bags and are pretty sure they'll send us home. We inform our family to be on stand by, but assure them not to get too excited. The nurse asks me my pain level. I tell her a 5. (Not really knowing what to compare it to:) She checks me . . . I'm at 9 cm!! I quickly change my pain level to an 8:) I just didn't want to sound like a wuss at first. We call our family and they are there faster then the speed of light. Little do they know, it will be a long night ahead!
4:40AM: Still at 9 cm! And in ALOT of pain!! I tried to not have an epidural but it was unbearable. Especially when they told me it could be hours until I would push! So I took a shot in the back and spent the next three hours resting up for my eventful morning.

7:30AM: Time to push! The epidural was wearing off and I was very aware of when to push. My nurse was a tad annoying at this point and I think Derek was getting as tired as I was. To me time was flying by but Derek said it was the longest wait ever.

10:00 AM: Not making any progress, I am informed that I am going to need a C-section. I never invisioned this and thus I skipped over these sections in the books I read! Oddly enough, they kept telling me I was the most calm C-section patient they have ever had. Maybe it's because I never read about it before hand:) Derek put on his blue garb and I dawned a hair net. During the surgery Derek watched and just said he saw a lot of blood.

11:08 AM: It's a girl!! Our little Baylie Mykel was pulled from my stomach at 11:08 AM Saturday March 28, 2009! She weighed 8 lbs. 12 oz. and is tall like her daddy at 21 inches long! Our lives are changed for ever!

Little Miss just woke up and I must tend to her! More on the first week at home to come!!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Just read your blog and I must say I got tired. Just thinking of that night. So full of promise every hour and then told to wait another more! So proud of you and Derek. Watching you guys these first couple weeks has been a true gift. Thank you for sharing them with me. And no words would do Baylie justice! She is perfect. Love Ya